Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Chalkashovi (rice and lentil garnish)


I promised to follow-up my last post with Krchik soup, but it a garnish called Chalkashovi appears to be presented in this post. This is a rice and lentil garnish "quite" popular in Armenia. I remember my grand mother making it quite often. This is rather easy-to-do dish for a new housewife. 

Several simple steps:
1. you cook rice and lentil separately. BUT keep in mind, these products should not be well cooked/boiled.
2. fry onions in oil, add the rice and the lentil together and add a little bit water, so that it covers the content of the pot.

You can escape step 2, by the way. I do that usually.
One important note: this garnish should be cooked with brown lentil and not red.

Here is a photo.




No comments:

Post a Comment